Sunday, December 16, 2012

Chuck Taylor

My new kicks. 


The last time a pair of these ever covered my feet was thirty-seven years ago. It was 1975, and my brother Mike talked my Mom into driving me to Dickinson where I could pick out a red pair of completely awesome Chuck Taylors at GP Sporting Goods. After getting back from Dickinson, a bunch of us played a game of Ditch on the block where the Feists once lived. I remember being overly concerned about getting my new shoes dirty. I sucked it up though, and I'm sure I played a kick-ass game of Ditch.  I also know the year was 1975 because on that night that we played Ditch, the Reds and Red Sox were playing in the World Series. I can even tell you who was on the mound for the Reds that night. Don Gullet. I couldn't tell you which game, but I know Gullet got the win. So, I wiki'd the '75 World Series and learned that it was game 5. 

Anyway, let's put an end to this little story. The last time I wore a new pair of Chuck Taylors was October 16, 1975. The shit I remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment